Friday, October 5, 2012

AF Hits a New Neighborhood! Chinatown, Here We Come!

Readers, this is a bona fide Amateur Foodie Bargain Spot.  I had a ton of delicious food, I have leftovers in the fridge, and I spent less than ten dollars.

I'll give you a minute to pick yourself up off the floor and dust yourself off.  Shocking, I know.  It's cheap.  Like, really cheap.

The restaurant I went to is called Saint's Alp.  Apparently it started off as a chain in Asia, but all I'm concerned with is the fact that it's in Chicago.  Because that means I can go there without needing airfare.

Saint's Alp is on Archer Avenue, just a short walk from the Cermak Brown Line stop.

I was lucky enough to be eating with someone who had been there before, and she told us what to order.

I ended up with the Yakitori Chicken Stick Rice Set.  This may take some 'splaining:

For $8.95, you get 3 skewers of yakitori chicken. 

And you get a bowl of rice topped with a savory mincemeat mixture...looks yucky, tastes delicious. 

And you get three big cubes of tofu drizzled with soy (which you will never, ever, ever, ever be able to eat with chopsticks. Don't try, it'll end up in your lap). 

And you get some broccoli (your excuse to say you ate your vegetables).  And something called a tea egg, which I wasn't quite brave enough to try (apparently it was tasty). 

And you get a drink (I ordered a ruby red grapefruit nectar, cold.  It was like a grapefruit slushie, with little cubes of fruit gelatin floating in the bottom. Weird but delish).

Whew.  Are you feeling full yet?  Because I am.

I wish I would have tried the tea, since Saint's Alp is, in all reality, a tea house.  But I'll get the chance at some point.  Because with their decent prices, there's no real excuse not to go back.

~AF

No comments:

Post a Comment