Thursday, August 30, 2012

C is for Cookies! Gamboling About in Lincoln Park with the Foodie

Ah, dearies, I've neglected you yet again.  And this evening I am loath to say that I will publish my final two posts from the comfort of my home.  Any posts from here on out will (more likely than not) be sent out from my...dorm room.  I know.  You don't want to hear about the cafeteria food.  And quite frankly, I don't want to tell you about it.

I'm not sure where this blog will go from here.  But I'll figure it out eventually.

For now, let's talk Lincoln Park and beyond!

It should be noted that restaurants along Lincoln Avenue aren't really open for lunch until eleven on weekdays.  It only makes sense.  But my parents and I got there early...and hungry.

After much walking and waffling (unfortunately an activity that had nothing whatsoever with waffles...) over where we should dine, we decided on a bar called Lincoln Station.  Not to be confused with Lincoln Hall.  That's just a hop, skip, and a jump away and is more of a late-evening music venue.

But anyway...It was eleven in the morning.  At a bar.  We were the first ones there, and remained the only ones there until shortly before we left.  There were multiple televisions there, broadcasting soccer, Sports Center, and various other athletic-themed programs...whatever's on at eleven in the morning.  I don't pay attention.  I like hockey, not football analyses.  The sound was off, so all we really had to entertain us was conversation.  Oh, drears...

I'm starting to make a habit of asking servers for meal recommendations.  And it was a good idea!  I had a Southern Spud.  Yes, darlings, a Spud.  As in a baked potato.  Stuffed with barbecued pulled pork, melted pepperjack cheese, and topped with creamy coleslaw.  With a pickle on the side.

When I read the item description, I realized this 'tater was not something I would ever have chosen as a lunch when left to my own devices.  I guess I just figured, 'Eh, why not?'

Allow me to be frank with you.  The potato was as big as my head.  As big as my head.  And buttered.  Stuffed.  Cheese-topped.  And coleslawed.  (Don't ask yourself if it's a word.  You're picking up what I'm laying down.)

I have to admit, I was hungry enough to mow through the slaw (crunchy enough for being scooped atop a hot potato, and a great contrast for the cheese and pork), most of the cheese (c'mon, it's cheese...of course I liked it!), and the delicious, saucy, tender pork (I would just order a bowl of that!).  The starchy meat-cheese-slaw vehicle (i.e. potato), on the other hand?  I hardly made a dent.  But it was all good!  Don't be turned away by the Spud.  But please consider sharing it with a friend.  Or running a marathon afterwards.  Your choice.

My mom got a burger named after Chicago's most famous public enemy, John Dillinger.  I should mention that the restaurant is located just across the street from the historic Biograph theater, site of Dillinger's death.  There's a restaurant called Dillinger's just down the street, but that'll probably be the topic for another post.  Back to the burger: Avocado, bacon, cheddar, griddled onions.  To put it simply, pretty gangster.  (I couldn't resist.)

And the french fries were tasty enough that, although I had a starch bomb the size of a Winnebago on my own plate, I kept snatching them and snacking on them.  They must've been good!

After a little jaunt 'round the neighborhood, we finally got to my dream destination, Cookie Bar!  Cue the dazzling lights and disco music!

Actually, the shop doesn't open until one in the afternoon.  It's down on Lincoln Avenue, in a shop the shape of a pie wedge (someone thought it'd be fun to run the street at a funny angle...).  The owners are theater guys, and the names of a few of their cookies reflect that.  They're so nice!  Much quieter than I thought they'd be...but that's okay.

The decor in the store is modern, yet really simple.  And at one in the afternoon, it is pretty darned quiet.  We were the only ones there.  Again.  I'm guessing the neighborhood really comes alive in the evening.  But who knows?

They were bold enough to call their store a bar, so of course you can get some shots while you're there.  But I'm not sure if you can choose between 2% or skim...That's right, they offer a shot of milk to go with your cookies.

And oh, the cookie's you'll find!  The day we went, there was a Nutella-chocolate chip cookie.  That's right.  You get chocolate with your chocolate-hazelnut spread.  Can I get a 'whoop, whoop?'  And there were some Cookie Bar standbys, like the Lisa Marie (peanut butter, banana, and peanut butter cups), the Sybil (split personality, half sugar cookie, half fudgy, cinnamon-y brownie), and some tasty oatmeal raisin cookies.
From left to right, chocolate-Nutella, oatmeal raisin, and more chocolate-Nutella. Oh yes they did.

I got the Sybil, because I just couldn't resist.  It was way better than it sounds.  And it sounds delicious!

Don't miss the cookies!  You'll regret it if you do.

Now, a final leg of our journey took us to Belmont Avenue, just down the road from Kuma's biker bar.  There's this little place that's been getting a little buzz.  And it's called Black Dog Gelato.

Yes, we got lunch and cookies and gelato.  I went to the gym.  Honest, I did.

At Black Dog they encourage you to sample!  Hallelujah!  I tasted a cinnamon-perfumed Mexican Hot Chocolate gelato, flavored with a kick of cayenne.  Delicious!  But I wanted to go for the shop's slam-dunk signature flavor.

Goat cheese.  Cashew.  Caramel.

No, they would not normally gel into something incredible.  But when you slap 'em together into a creamy Italian-style confection, they get along nicely.

The best way I can describe the undertones of this gelato is funky.  You know, that savory, sour, almost stinky flavor that makes a good cheese awesome.  And it's a flavor that makes a gelato fascinating.  Along with the sweet, flavorful caramel and the salty, rich cashews, this may be my ideal flavor.  But if you don't like goat cheese, please don't order this gelato.  Or at least taste it first, lest you do something irrational.

The cool thing about Black Dog is the fact that you can mix and match your gelatos (actually gelati, but who's keeping track?).  A small is two scoops, and those two scoops can be a combination of any pair of flavors you feel like!  Want watermelon sorbet and mint chocolatey chip?  They'll mix that.  Apple pie and malted vanilla?  Oh, yes.  Whatever you want.

In short, Black Dog is amazing.  Check it out, go crazy sampling stuff, and just pretend it has no calories.  When it tastes that good, who really cares?

Peace, Love, and Tasty Snacking!

~AF

No comments:

Post a Comment