Monday, August 13, 2012

Catching Up On a Cultural Phenomenon...Sort Of

Well, readers, I've done it.  I ate my first Big Mac today.  It bothered my stomach, by the way, so I won't rush to purchase another from the Golden Arches.  However, I did find it tasty in its own fast-foody sort of way.

I like the pickles (although I would have liked a couple more on my sandwich), and the Special Sauce was tasty.  Luckily for me, since I'm not crazy about raw onion, the onion portion of my burger didn't come through too strong.  And I love me a sesame seed bun!

But it was all just too much!  Two patties?  That awkward third sort-of-bun between the patties?  Enough saucy shredded iceberg to make the whole concoction slide around like a stack of CD's during an earthquake?  The fact that it cooled down alarmingly fast once I opened the box?  No, no, no, no... That just won't do.

Now, I think I'd like to be somewhat of a Fast-Foodie...and make my own version one of these days.  One patty, made of fresh 80/20 chuck, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried minced onion, and Worcestershire sauce, and grilled to perfection.  One bun, top and bottom (no awkward additional carbohydrate as architecture here, no, siree!).  A little bit of Vidalia onion, or maybe some thinly sliced shallot or scallion.  Good garlic dill pickles, and lots of them!  Snarlingly sharp cheddar cheese!  A more interesting lettuce than iceberg!  I just can't wait.

As for that special sauce?  My version will have a blend of high-fructose-corn-syrup-free ketchup (found at grocery stores, more tomatoey than its super-sweetened counterpart), yellow mustard, light mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, black pepper, and a heavy dash of paprika.

Inspiration?  Yeah, I'm loving it, alright.  I'll report back when I finish my experiment.

Until then,

~AF

No comments:

Post a Comment